Thursday, October 6, 2011

Week 1

Week 1
The hard works starts soon but I want to get down a few things from the last two weeks that served as the induction/introduction to/eye-opener to the school.

27th September - Food hygiene
Something I was slightly nervous about but seems, with a great tutor Sally Dobbs, to be fairly straight forward and logical. There's process that I have to write up but the exam at the end did seem to be pretty simple. Let's say that if I fail it, I'll be the one shooting myself.


28th September - Baking
Emmanuel is an excellent teacher and actually made everything very simple - essential for a newbie like me to the subject. Why have I never done this baking thing before.



















The results were a revelation when juxtaposed with the simplicity of the method.


29th September - Charcuterie
I met Kate earlier in the week but to sit with her and Chris just got me excited to get onto my major course as soon as possible. Kate's philosophy of field-to-fork verbalised my thoughts on the process but in so much more detail and experience and I think it will be an fantastic to learn from Kate, Chris and Viv when the serious stuff starts.

30th September - Tasting and Culture
Francis Percival is a guy who knows his stuff. The subject of taste is wide and deep and I don't know much about it. Verbalising sensory perceptions is difficult but learning the language to communicate to gain common understanding is something that will be a challenge but very important... I am officially an 'non-taster', officially.

No comments:

Post a Comment